Experts claim we should get keener insurance quotes
HOWEOWNERS in North Somerset should get better insurance quotes according to industry experts, after figures revealed it has one of the lowest claims rates in the UK.
Statistics published by online price-comparison website MoneySupermarket revealed that the proportion of theft claims varies considerably within the region.
Although low compared with the worst areas in the country, Weston has 6.9 claims per 1,000 enquiries to the website – almost double that of nearby areas like Worle and Hutton.
Julie Fisher, head of home insurance for the website, said an area with higher theft rates does not necessarily mean it is one full of crime.
She said: “Home is where the heart is, and there is no denying that a burglary in your home is an emotional and frightening experience.
You may also want to watch:
“However being in a higher risk area doesn’t necessarily mean where you live is bad or rife with crime – many thieves will target more affluent areas purely for the rewards on offer.
“No matter where you live there will always be an element of risk to the safety of your possessions so it is vital to have adequate home insurance in place.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
“Properties classified as being in a high-risk area, whether that be for crime, flooding or subsidence, could see the price of cover affected.
“Homeowners need to be extra vigilant when it comes to security. Installing timers on your lights and ensuring items of value are kept away from your windows are easy steps to take to reduce risk.”
MoneySupermarket published the 20 postcodes with most theft claims between December 2010 and November 2011 last week and Stoke Newington in London was ranked as the worst area in the UK with 33.6 claims per 1,000 enquiries.
West Bromwich, Leeds, Doncaster and Bradford all appeared in the top 10.