Family rewarded for scouting efforts
- Credit: Archant
A FAMILY were left ‘dumbstruck’ after scooping a prestigious regional scouting award.
The Lloyd family picked up The Beaver Haynes trophy at the Golden Woggle Awards, held at Weston’s Winter Gardens.
The trophy is named after the former District Commissioner in the Axe area.
It rewards individuals or groups who have put a significant amount of effort into the scouting movement and was commissioned by Beaver’s widow, Madge.
This year it has been awarded to the entire Lloyd family, who run large parts of the 1st Burrington and Wrington Group.
You may also want to watch:
Dan Lloyd said: “As a family we have been working a scouting for about five years.
“I started doing cubs and my wife Liz was involved in scouting in Clevedon but we were keen to do something closer to home so we started up our own beaver colony in April 2010.”
- 1 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 2 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 3 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 4 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 5 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 6 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 7 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 8 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 9 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 10 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
Since starting up the new colony, numbers have shot up across all age groups and now twice as many children in the area are involved in scouting.
Dan added: “We have had a huge amount of people wanting to join us. So many that we are hoping to start up a new cub pack.”
After sons William and Thomas missed out on winning cub and scout awards, the Lloyd family thought their luck was out.
However when they were named as winners of the Beaver Haynes Trophy, Dan admits he was somewhat taken aback.
He said: “It’s really nice to be recognised after a lot of hard work.
“We were a bit disappointed when William and Thomas didn’t win but to receive this is wonderful.
“I wonder what our family looked like up on the stage? I think I must have looked pretty dumbstruck.”