Family-run performing arts school expands
- Credit: Archant
A FAMILY-RUN dance and performing arts school has expanded into new areas after two sisters returned from roles in shows around the world.
Cheryl Watson first opened the Carlea Dance School in Weston more than 20 years ago, named after her daughters Carina and Leanne.
The two sisters performed in shows at The Playhouse and the Junior Arts Festival when they were younger, before training professionally at the Laine Theatre Arts in Surrey.
They each travelled around the world on cruise ships and performed in shows including Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You, as well as on television programmes including The Saturday Show.
Leanne was also a backing dancer for pop acts Liberty X and Journey South.
You may also want to watch:
Carina returned to Weston two-and-a-half years ago and when Leanne did the same last October, they decided to expand their mum’s business, now named Carlea Theatre Arts.
Carina said: “It’s really nice. What we have done has been amazing. We’ve seen some wonderful places in the world, but it’s lovely to come back to home and be able to work as a family.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 3 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 4 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 5 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 9 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
- 10 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
“It’s great because we know each other well and there’s a lot of support and experience between us.
“It’s brilliant to have that trust because it’s a family business.”
Carina and Leanne have opened new schools in Hewish and Churchill, and can teach a variety of different dance types, including ballet, tap, modern and jazz.
They teach children aged from three years old up to adults, and the youngsters participate in both exams and shows.