Firm hit by closed road to claim losses
- Credit: Archant
A BURNHAM petrol station owner says he will claim for compensation after being ‘unjustly’ left out of pocket by a road closure taking motorists on a nine-mile detour around the area.
Repair works carried out by Wessex Water forced the closure of a small stretch of Berrow Road, with drivers sent on a lengthy route around Brent Knoll which has been estimated to add more than 30 minutes onto journeys.
Gordon Reason, owner of the Texaco garage around 100 yards from the closure, said trade had plummeted by more than half since the works began on February 9, and he had received no prior contact about the closure.
He said: “We are only doing about a third of the business we would normally, both in the shop and petrol-wise. It’s had a big effect.
“I’ll be seeking compensation, but for now I’ve just got to suck it up and see how bad it ends up.
You may also want to watch:
“They should have sent a loss adjuster along. I have had no indication from Wessex Water about it at all. They haven’t even done me the courtesy of a visit.
“The same thing happened a few years ago but it’s so difficult to get anything done – it’s so unjust and unfair.”
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 8 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 5 things to do in North Somerset this weekend
When the closure was first announced, Berrow Parish Council clerk Lynn Smith told the Mercury locals would be better shopping in Weston rather than negotiating the diversion, adding the area would lose out as a result.
A Wessex Water spokesman said: “We apologise for the inconvenience our essential sewerage repair work has caused along Berrow Road.
“We have been in contact with Mr Reason and have been in discussion with him about his claim for loss of business.”