Free parking at two Weston car parks in run up to Christmas
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Motorists will be able to park for free in Weston at weekends in the run up to Christmas.
North Somerset Council announced on Monday it would again give drivers an early present by relaxing charges on the five Saturdays in the run up to Christmas, beginning on November 23.
Cllr Mark Canniford said: "We all know that high streets across the country are having a tough time of it at the moment as shopping habits change and we want to support our businesses.
"This is in response to meetings and discussions with local retailers and we are therefore pleased to offer free parking in the run-up to Christmas to our residents and visitors.
"This is just one of a number of initiatives we're working on to drive new life into the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
"These include holding more events, improving the street scene and action to encourage landlords to let empty space. And making the most of the opportunities that being designated as a Heritage Action Zone brings.
"But these ideas may not generate opportunities if people don't shop locally."
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 3 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 4 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 8 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 9 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
The offer applies to Carlton Street and Grove car parks from 2-6pm.
Sedgemoor District Council is carrying out a similar measure on the final three Saturdays.