Gym helps young athletes
- Credit: Archant
A CONGRESBURY gym is set to help run the next generation of athletes.
North Somerset Athletics Academy, which boasts more than 240 members, will receive backing from The Club, based at Doubletree by Hilton, Cadbury House.
Currently the group takes children aged eight and above to competitions across the country and the backing through extra training facilities from The Club will ensure it continues to go from strength to strength.
Founder Chris Millard said: “We’re delighted to receive the support. When we launched we realised there was a growing demand for athletics but not in our wildest dreams did we think it would be so successful.
“The success of the London 2012 Olympics has also helped boost interest in track and field with more people coming along on the back of the games. The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow will also help maintain interest.
You may also want to watch:
“The goal is to provide opportunities for athletes of all abilities, ages and backgrounds so they can be the best they can within the sport of athletics.
“Backing like this supports the professional approach and we’re looking forward to a very successful season.”
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
The group holds training sessions in Weston, Churchill, Nailsea, Portishead and Clevedon.