Gym launches combat classes
- Credit: Archant
New karate, kickboxing and boxing lessons are being launched this year at one of Weston-super-Mare’s premier gyms.
Swet FA, in Sunnyside Road North, is owned by Stuart Davies, who recently called time on his 20-year career as a police sergeant to concentrate on full-time martial arts training.
He runs the Weston Academy of Martial Arts (WAMA) at the gym, and says the 4,250sqft training facility is ‘second to none in the South West’.
Stuart describes himself as having ‘a true passion for teaching’, and has a track record of more than 35 years in the sport. Indeed, he is a former world kickboxing and karate champion with titles and awards spanning decades, and has run training seminars all over the country.
His former students have also gone on to win English, British, European and world titles at adult and junior level over the past 20 years, and a team of current members – nicknamed Dynamite – will compete at the world championships in Italy later this year.
You may also want to watch:
Now, due to ‘overwhelming’ demand for places in his courses, Stuart is extending his classes to run karate, boxing and kickboxing coaching sessions every day.
Stuart said: “I’m really looking forward to teaching more often at the new facilities, I’m excited to help people achieve their goals and everyone is welcome no matter what their standard.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Planking your way to better health
- 8 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 9 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
“It’s not just for fighters either, it’s for everyone, so come down – you never know, it may change your life.”
Find out more – and book a free introductory session – at www.wamaboxing.com