High Street bank celebrates 150 years
- Credit: Archant
AN INTERNATIONAL financial organisation this week celebrated 150 years operating in Weston’s High Street.
Lloyds TSB has been run under a number of different names and from several different buildings during its century-and-a-half at the heart of the town.
But on Monday, the bank toasted its landmark with an in-branch history day and cake sale to raise money for the Bone Cancer Research Trust.
The charity was chosen to support Weston branch worker Sue Collard, whose daughter Mary died of bone cancer on New Year’s Day 2012.
Lloyds TSB Somerset fundraisers have already raised £8,000 towards the cause since naming it their charity of the year in January.
You may also want to watch:
New manager Duncan Pike – who began his career with the bank 30 years ago – joined colleagues in outlining the branch’s history to customers on the anniversary.
They were told how April 20, 1863 saw the West of England & South Wales District Bank open its doors at 5 Sydenham Terrace, under the management of Arthur Clayfield Ireland.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Weston AFC unveil more Optima Stadium development plans
- 3 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 4 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 Voice your views on roads, footpaths and cycling routes in North Somerset
- 7 Green candidate announced for village ward in by-election
- 8 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 9 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
In 1878, the premises was taken on by Wilts & Dorset Banking Co, and in 1897, Capital & Counties Bank opened at 78 High Street. Lloyds took over both in 1918, merging the operations into the Sydenham Terrace building – which was renamed as 2 South Parade in the 1920s.
Although the building has undergone several changes since – being modernised in the 1960s, adding external cash machines in 1974, and rebranding as Lloyds TSB in 1999 – the banking chain has remained there ever since.