Hot Topic: Leisuredome ‘pie-in-the-sky’
- Credit: Archant
JOHN Penrose’s criticism over the lack of progress with the Leisuredome has got a number of Mercury readers talking online.
Its developer, OpalTec International, has so far failed to attract sufficient funding to get the £50million indoor ski slope and climbing wall complex underway.
Here are a selection of comments from the Mercury’s website, Facebook and Twitter sites:
? “Another failed development programme, like the Trop, the old pier and the Dolphin Square project. The only success story is Birnbeck Island, but of course that involves housing.” – Bill.
? “If it had an ice rink then I’m sure it would make a profit, especially since the closure of Bristol. Not holding my breath though.” – Ruth Lucy Cooper.
You may also want to watch:
? “I drove through Brean last Tuesday. It has a lot more to offer than Weston. It’s about time North Somerset Council realised this is a resort and started catering for holidaymakers. Instead of more shops, why not use the space for an entertainment park, or a permanent funfair?” – Graham Jennings.
? “We don’t exactly need one of these anyway in Weston.” – Cherry Pullinger.
- 1 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 2 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 3 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 4 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
? “Always the way with this council, it grants permission for pie-in-the-sky schemes that have no realistic chance of success. Look at the two hideous schemes granted for the Trop (Boot and Mace), then along comes a realistic proposal and they do all they can to scupper it! Seems it falls for big unrealistic schemes like moths to a flame.” – Ricki Burrows.
? “It will be a real shame if Weston loses out on this. Be nice to have something fun all year round.” – Leanne Dalby.