Is this the ugliest building in Weston?
A PRISON, a post-war block of flats and uglier than some of the previously proposed Tropicana ‘monstrosities’ – that is the unflattering opinion of Weston residents to the new Premier Inn hotel that now adorns the seafront.
Developers McLaren Life has now handed over keys to the new 112-bed hotel to allow it to be fitted out, as the first phase of the �45million Dolphin Square regeneration project nears completion.
But on the Mercury’s website and Facebook page many readers have slated the design and labelled it as an eyesore.
Andrew Joules said it was ‘hideous looking’ and did not fit with its surroundings. Similarly Mark Bradshaw added he felt the architects could have been more inventive with their design.
But the majority of those who contacted the Mercury agreed that a hotel was a good idea in principle to try to encourage more visitors to the resort.
You may also want to watch:
Building work continues on a new car park in Carlton Street and the square will be renovated from September to include a new Vue cinema, shops, bowling alley and restaurants.
McLaren Life were asked for a comment but did not respond.
- 1 PICTURES: Look inside Weston's Revo Kitchen
- 2 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 3 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 4 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 5 Coronavirus vaccine centre for young people opens in Weston town centre
- 6 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 7 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 8 Scores enjoy village scarecrow trail based on TV characters
- 9 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 10 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation