Lidl opens new store in Weston-super-Mare today
- Credit: Archant
Supermarket chain Lidl has opened the ‘store of the future’ in Weston-super-Mare today (Thursday).
The new store, in Winterstoke Road – adjacent to Weston Football Club – is set to open at 8am with mayor Alan Peak on hand to for the ribbon-cutting ceremony.
The new 1,690sqm site boasts an in-store bakery, smarter packing facilities, energy efficient LED lighting and a host of opening-week promotional offers.
Forty new jobs have been created by the opening of the new branch – which becomes the second Lidl store in the town after the long-standing branch in Summer Lane, Worle.
James Mitchell, regional head of property for Lidl, said: “We would like to thank those who played a part in bringing a new Lidl store to Weston.
You may also want to watch:
“It is wonderful for us to be able to create more jobs and investment opportunities in the area, and we can’t wait to start serving our award-winning products to the local community.”
A Lidl spokesman added: “Lidl has experienced continued growth over the years as consumers flock to the shop to discover products – two-thirds of which are British – ranging from quality British fruit and vegetables, to premium wines from its much-coveted wine cellar collections.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 6 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 7 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 8 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 9 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 10 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
“More than six million British shoppers are now flocking to Lidl each week, 500,000 more a week than in 2015.
“Lidl’s success shows no signs of slowing, as latest results outline its continued growth and market share high of 4.6 per cent and year-on-year sales growth of 6.1 per cent.”