Living Homes on move
A major business is already looking to move out of Dolphin Square despite being offered the chance to stay for an extra six months.
Living Homes has submitted plans to convert the old Weston Bathrooms showroom in Phillips Road, Weston, into a new shop. The premises, opposite Asda, were vacated in the summer. No moving date has been announced.
It increases fears that Dolphin Square will become a ghost town ahead of its demolition to make way for a huge new leisure and retail complex.
Last week the Mercury revealed that businesses in the shopping precinct were going to be allowed to stay until next September, rather than March, after the council told developers McLaren Life that it needed access to Somerset House for longer than originally thought. Living Homes currently runs two shops in Dolphin Square.
The company submitted plans to North Somerset Council last week to renovate the outside of the Phillips Road building.
You may also want to watch:
Before the plans came to light, managing director Joe Eavis reiterated the company’s desire to stay in the area.
He said: “Our intention is very much to stay in Weston. The people have treated us very well so it would be foolish for us to move on.”
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 6 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 7 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 10 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance