Major coffee chain reveals plans to open in Weston-super-Mare
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s coffee lovers could soon be able to order hot drinks from the comfort of their cars, if plans to build a new drive-through coffee shop in a town retail park are approved by North Somerset Council.
National drinks chain Costa Coffee wants to build the drive-through in the Gallagher Retail Park, off the A370, close to the existing KFC restaurant.
The coffee chain has submitted a planning application to North Somerset Council through planning agents Barton Willmore. If the scheme is given the go-ahead, it is set to create 18 new jobs.
Costa said in its design statement: “The proposed Costa drive-through will provide a modern facility, enhancing the retail offer and improving the prominence of Gallagher Retail Park and this gateway to Weston.
“The proposed drive-through forms part of the overall vision to upgrade the park and the income generated by the increased footfall from the coffee drive-through will be re-invested in the overall works to improve Gallagher Retail Park.”
You may also want to watch:
If the proposal is granted permission by North Somerset, it will include parking for five cars, along with a refuse area and an outdoor seating space.
Although there are already branches of Costa in Weston High Street, the Flowerdown retail park and in Worle, the firm said the proposed drive-through would not negatively affect other branches or other town centre businesses.
- 1 PICTURES: Look inside Weston's Revo Kitchen
- 2 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 3 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 4 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 5 Coronavirus vaccine centre for young people opens in Weston town centre
- 6 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 7 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 8 Scores enjoy village scarecrow trail based on TV characters
- 9 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 10 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
It said: “The proposed drive-through is small and does not replace any existing retail uses, but is in the place of an under-used car parking area. Due to its size and scale it will primarily serve visitors to the retail park as part of a linked trip.”