Monkey gland sauce on new pub menu
A PUB in North Somerset has reopened, with its new managers promising a touch of Afrikaans exoticism to customers.
Allison and Peter Docherty have taken on The Full Quart pub in Hewish and the pub will feature a taste of their South African homeland, with delights such as Boerewors sausage and monkey gland barbecue sauce on the menu.
The new venture was officially launched at an event at the pub in Weston Road on November 20 where the Dochertys had a chance to meet some of their new customers and give them a chance to sample the unusual new dishes.
They had previously managed the Warwick Arms in Clutton in Chew Valley.
Mr Docherty said: “Our launch night was a double celebration as I turned 50 the same day and it made the day more personal sharing it with our new customers.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted people to meet us and find out what we are all about and we were delighted with the positive response on the night.
“I moved to the UK from South Africa two-years-ago and thought offering speciality dishes from my homeland would be a unique concept people in Somerset would enjoy.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 3 Weston AFC unveil more Optima Stadium development plans
- 4 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 5 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 6 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 7 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 8 Voice your views on roads, footpaths and cycling routes in North Somerset
- 9 Green candidate announced for village ward in by-election
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
“We have Boerewors sausage, steak with monkey gland sweet and sour barbecue sauce, Babotie spicy mince curry and meats with Sheeba hot and spicy sauce, as well as Malva apricot pudding.”
Mrs Docherty, aged 44, said: “As well as our new South African dishes and wines on offer customers can also visit our butchery counter, the first concept of its kind in the area.
“Here they can choose the type of steak they want - we cut it to their required size and weight and then cook it to their exact requirements.”