New business enjoys strong start to 2014
- Credit: Archant
NEW businesses in North Somerset have enjoyed a healthy start to the year, with almost 40 start-ups launched between January and March.
North Somerset Enterprise Agency reports that the new companies covered a wide range of business sectors, including an aromatherapy business, landscaping company and online craft retailer.
Of the 38 businesses started during the same period in 2012, 33 are still operational, while 22 of the 27 companies launched in the first quarter of 2011 are also trading.
Angela Hicks, chief executive of North Somerset Enterprise Agency, said: “Following a year in which the UK’s new business numbers swelled by more than half a million, business ambition is clearly remaining high.
“This is great news for the local and national economies as new companies create jobs and, in turn, wealth.”
You may also want to watch:
The agency is itself awaiting the opening of its new business development centre, known as The Hive, based at the Weston Business Quarter, with the aim of supporting and growing entrepreneurial endeavours through advice, support and training.
- 1 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 2 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 3 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 4 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 5 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 6 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 7 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 8 Doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay