New conditions imposed on owners of popular town centre nightspot
A TOWN centre nightspot in Weston has had a series of restrictions imposed on it after the police called for its licence to be reviewed.
As reported in the Mercury earlier this month, Avon and Somerset Constabulary had compiled a catalogue of incidents which are alleged to have happened at Dragon Kiss since last year.
Venue bosses were called before North Somerset Council’s licensing sub-committee for the review on December 14.
Sub-committee chairman Ian Porter said concerns had been raised that the Regent Street restaurant and bar was ‘not being managed properly’.
The eight new conditions imposed at the Town Hall review hearing include a no entry or re-entry policy for two hours preceding closing time, and that all glasses must be made from toughened glass or plastic.
You may also want to watch:
These conditions had been opposed by venue bosses, who said they would put them at a disadvantage in competing with other town centre bars and night clubs.
Avon and Somerset Constabulary had applied for the review after compiling a detailed list of reported incidents which included a couple having sex on its kitchen floor, a woman having her finger bitten on the dance floor and a man being smashed in the mouth with a bottle.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 3 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 4 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 5 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 8 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
Chief Inspector Jeff Foreman had also recommended the committee consider banning owners Kiem and Cam Mu from their own premises. This recommendation was rejected by the committee.
Venue bosses had drawn up an action plan ahead of the hearing which was broadly in line with the recommendations which the police wanted implemented.
The venue must also install a new, state-of-the-art CCTV system allowing for facial identification of visitors by January 14.
A staff member able to use the system and download footage on request must also be on site at all times.
Dragon Kiss will also impose a challenge 25 system and a policy of not allowing children under 18 into the premises after 9pm unless they are accompanied by a responsible adult or the venue licence holder.
An incident book must be completed on a daily basis and endorsed by the licence holder, while Security Industry Authority-trained door staff must be present each day from 9pm to closing time, at a ratio of one member of staff to 100 people.
Cllr Porter said: “What we want to try and do is to be positive and we want everybody to be positive and move forward. By imposing these conditions we are going to impose we hope that we will never see anybody come back to this arena again because we feel there is a way forward and as long as everybody abides by it then we won’t be in this position again.”