New grants to brighten town
- Credit: Archant
UP TO £25,000 in grants have been unveiled this week to allow business owners in Burnham town centre to spruce up their shop fronts.
Properties in Burnham High Street and the surrounding areas will receive more than just a lick of paint through the move, which will support improvements up to £10,000 in the centre.
The grants are part of an ongoing raft of developments in the town which will see more than £250,000 injected into upgrades including better lighting, highways and an already-installed electric box to allow more events to be held outside in the High Street.
Town centre manager Beverley Milner Simonds said: “We had nine enquiries in the first day, and it just shows that people are really interested about getting involved.
“It’s all about improving the general look and feel of the town centre and getting those repairs done which might have slipped. We are really happy to help those businesses get it done; it’s not just for shops.
You may also want to watch:
“High quality fronts can make a town feel more welcoming to locals and visitors, improve its image, contribute towards a stronger sense of identity and, importantly, encourage a greater number of shopping visits by locals and visitors alike.”
Independent retailers, commercial properties and vacant unit owners in the centre will be eligible to apply for a matched grant of up to £5,000 to make larger improvements, or a one-off sum of up to £1,000.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 10 5 things to do in North Somerset this weekend
Applications are open now and will close on February 28 next year, or when all funds have been allocated.
For more guidance or to pick up an application form, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.burnham-highbridge.org