New market to open on former nightclub site
A NEW indoor market will launch in Weston next month, on the site of a former nightclub and restaurant.
The owners of La Costa, in Princess Royal Square, have closed the business and leased it out to a former Dolphin Square trader who will open his new venture next month.
Laqat Ali, who is also owner of the Aniqa fashion store in St James Street, hopes to launch the Dolphin Seaview Market in December and says he has attracted 20 traders to become part of it.
It will become the second new indoor market to open in recent months, after a group of former Dolphin Square traders set up The Market Place in St James Street in October.
The old Dolphin Square market closed earlier this year ahead of the demolition of the old site as part of a �45million regeneration project, and some of its traders have become part of The Market Place.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ali said the new facility will have space for 20 stalls and a caf�.
He said: “Customers who have come into my shop say there is still a need for a market in town, so that was the only reason I was motivated to find a premises.
- 1 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 2 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 3 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 4 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
“People want another Dolphin Square Market in town, so I want to create another market. We’re still looking for traders to join us, so if they are interested they can come and see me here.”
He added that the stallholders who had agreed in principle to become part of the new market sell clothing, jewellery, handbags, shoes and hardware.
La Costa co-owners Louis and Andrew Macrides closed the bar, which was formerly known as Senoritas, at the end of October and have this week signed a five-year lease agreement with Mr Ali.
He has gutted the interior of the former nightclub and is in the process of creating the space where the new market will be.
Louis Macrides said: “We’re very happy and excited for them, we think the new market will be very good for the square.
“I think it is going to regenerate the square because it needs some life at the moment.”