New recruits combat care shortage
- Credit: Sub
A SHORTAGE of carers in North Somerset is being filled, thanks to a new training academy.
There are around 150 elderly and disabled people in North Somerset waiting for a home care package. This could mean a home visit for 30 minutes, or up to four visits a day.
At present, those 150 people are not getting the care they require, but a new academy has been set up by housing association Alliance Homes alongside North Somerset Council and Weston College to meet the shortfall in carers.
The Care Training Academy was created in September, and 10 people already have jobs as a result.
Steve Chinn, managing director at Alliance Homes’ Alliance Living service, said: “We set up the academy to help us recruit much-needed staff and try to break down some of the barriers that stop people from applying for roles in care.
You may also want to watch:
“Every customer has a lifetime of stories to tell and we wanted to have the opportunity to demonstrate how rewarding a carer’s role can be.”
The academy provides three weeks of training to help people gain a qualification, with a guaranteed job interview at the end.
- 1 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 2 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 3 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 4 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 5 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 6 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 7 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 8 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 9 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 10 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
It had 40 applicants when the academy first opened, though not all of those chose to take up a place. Since then, 10 people have been offered a job.
Chantelle Walton is one of those recruited. She said: “I chose to enter the care academy because I became unemployed in August and wanted to gain access to this career path.
“Weston College has given us all lots of help and boosted our confidence. We were all given an interview and at the end I was offered a job as a home care assistant.”