Next stage of Tropicana makeover begins
- Credit: Archant
THE first phase of the Tropicana makeover is now complete, with the inside stripped to its bare bones, and the building is on track to open before the summer.
North Somerset Council is working to bring the derelict seafront structure into use as a bar and café, with office space on the first floor for the authority’s seafront events team.
Contractors starting work at the site since January and now it is gutted and ready for refurbishment.
The council decided in September last year to bring the former pool back into action as what it described as a ‘multi-use events and concessions space’.
The authority set the total budget for the makeover at £748,000.
The pre-construction process cost £400,000 and included removing asbestos, fixing the broken plumbing and making the electrics safe.
A council report on the progress says: “This project phase involves the further light refurbishment of the main building, and first floor area, new windows to the majority of the building, re-roofing and insulation of the left hand side of the main building, and more substantial repairs to allow the public toilets to be brought back into use.”
You may also want to watch:
The council has given Graham Asset Management permission to buy material for the next stage of the renovation, up to £170,000.
The council says the work is on schedule, as well as on budget, and the venue should be open next month if all goes according to plan.
So far the authority has remained tight-lipped about what the rest of the venue will be used for, and has said the outdoor portion of the site would be considered for events or rides – but has not confirmed whether it will revive the former pool.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 6 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 7 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 8 Man charged with murder after woman dies 21 years after being set on fire
- 9 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
- 10 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston