No free parking at Weston-super-Mare Tesco – unless you spend £5
- Credit: Archant
Tesco shoppers in Weston-super-Mare will have to spend at least £5 in store if they want to park a car for more than 30 minutes.
The Mercury can reveal Tesco bosses are hoping to introduce new parking measures for the Station Road store, which will mean people will be fined £70 if they stay for longer than two hours.
If people want to park for free for two hours, they must spend £5 in store. Anyone parking for less than half an hour will not need to spend £5, but must still validate a parking receipt.
A Tesco spokesman said the new system was ‘designed to protect those growing increasingly frustrated by the misuse of spaces by motorists who aren’t using the store’.
The spokesman said: “The maximum stay is also designed to allow customers time to visit other services.”
You may also want to watch:
Under the proposals, submitted in a planning application to North Somerset Council, a car’s entry time will be recorded when it is driven into the car park.
After shopping, the customer will be given a parking voucher for free parking.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 8 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 5 things to do in North Somerset this weekend
They have to enter their registration number and scan the voucher into a machine before leaving.
People will be fined if they leave without validating their parking.
There will be no way to pay if you want to stay longer than two hours.
* For more on this story, pick up a copy of the Weston Mercury today (Thursday).