North Somerset Council unveils plan to get jobseekers working at Dolphin Square - but will it be a success?
- Credit: Archant
Jobseekers in North Somerset will receive extra support designed to match them to vacancies in the district – with an abundance of new opportunities set to be created at Weston-super-Mare’s Dolphin Square complex.
North Somerset Council’s Skills4Work programme started on January 21, and will run as a pilot scheme for the next 12 months. Its aim is to signpost people looking for work towards jobs being offered by businesses in the area.
The project’s main focus will initially be on getting people into new jobs at Dolphin Square, with the multi-million-pound leisure complex set to open in the summer.
Many of the new jobs which will be created at Dolphin Square will be in retail, hospitality and catering, and Skills4Life’s organisers say they hope a pool of employable, skilled North Somerset residents will be able to apply for jobs ahead of the development’s opening.
Councillor Elfan Ap Rees is the council’s deputy leader and executive member for economic development. He said: “Skills4Work will work with local jobseekers and occupiers of Dolphin Square to identify suitable candidates for the new roles that will be on offer this year.
You may also want to watch:
“Having a local workforce skilled to meet the needs of existing and future businesses in the area is an essential part of the mix to generate economic success.”
The programme will eventually be rolled out to support businesses across North Somerset and its organisers say they will work alongside businesses to understand their needs.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 6 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 7 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
For more information about the Skills4Work programme, contact the council on 01934 426674 or email firstname.lastname@example.org