Readers voice Dolphin Square future fears
- Credit: Archant
A WEEK after councillors voiced suspicion that no retailers will ever sign up to the new Dolphin Square development, Mercury readers have shared the same opinion.
The Mercury reported seven days ago how developer McLaren Life has successfully won planning permission to separate retail and leisure sections of the £45million rebuilding project.
It is three years since the firm was given the go-ahead to bulldoze Weston’s former indoor market and other nearby buildings to make way for a new generation of shops and attractions.
But although work will begin shortly on a 20-lane bowling alley, a multi-screen cinema, six restaurants and a gym, McLaren Life is still yet to sign up its first retail partner.
Councillors said last week they fear it may never happen – and Mercury readers agree.
You may also want to watch:
Here is a selection of your views since we revealed the latest news:
? “The council should have put in a condition which states that McLaren Life have to properly landscape the area if they fail to sign up any retailers. A contemporary version of the Italian Gardens with areas of grass and seating would be far nicer than just some tarmac.” – Weston2010.
- 1 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 2 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 3 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 4 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 5 PICTURES: Look inside Weston's Revo Kitchen
- 6 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 7 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 8 Coronavirus vaccine centre for young people opens in Weston town centre
- 9 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 10 Scores enjoy village scarecrow trail based on TV characters
? “Can’t see any retailers moving to town centre. After all the likes of Next, Dunelm, The Range, Halfords, Currys, PC World, Staples, Matalan and Boots have all set up out of town. Not enough footfall in town the size of Weston for small independent stores. Unless Primark can be persuaded it’s unlikely to happen. Hope I’m wrong though.” – Kevin Wood.
? “I’d put money on it to be another car park.” – Anthony Bird.
? “Will it ever happen? Weston seems to live in a dream world of its own.” – Jacky Faulkner.
? “The biggest problem is keeping the rest of the town alive while we sit and wait.2 – Jon Wakefield.
? “Now why oh why I am I thinking this sounds like another Tropicana debacle? Here we go again!” – westonflyer.
? “Just continue to shop on the internet, you don’t get charged stupid parking charges on there.” – Dean Sullivan.
Got an opinion on this issue? You can join the debate – and hundreds of others – by logging on to www.westonmercury.co.uk or by ‘liking’ the Mercury on Facebook.