Royal approval for two firms
- Credit: Archant
TWO businesses have won awards from the Queen for their success and innovation.
Jo Bird & Co Ltd, of East Huntspill, has won a Queen’s Award to Enterprise for its success in international trade, while Simulation Systems Ltd of Yatton picked up the same honour for innovation.
Just 152 companies across the UK won one of the prestigious awards this year from Her Majesty, handed out to outstanding businesses in their field.
Jo Bird & Co, based in Factory Lane, was founded in 1986 and has increased the value of its overseas exports from £700,000 to £1.8million in just three years, earning it royal recognition.
Managing director Guy Atkins said: “We are extremely pleased. Pleased and surprised and proud of what everyone has done to make it possible.”
You may also want to watch:
The company manufactures protective housings for safety equipment, such as casing for fire extinguishers, designed to withstand all sorts of environments to protect life-saving items.
Mr Atkins added: “We have a very tight-knit and loyal work force and this award shows what it is possible to achieve.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 6 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 7 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
“There is a lot of negative publicity about how bad it is out there. But if you plan for the long-term and put the hard work in there are rewards.”
Simulation Systems Ltd, based on the Market Industrial Estate, scooped its award for designing a range of CCTV equipment which is now used widely on the UK road network.
Its flagship camera can make out faces from more than two miles away in mist, rain or snow and has an overall viewing distance of 15 miles.
Owner and managing director Louis Thompson said: “To be given this award is a great honour, and something we are all very proud of.
“For more than 30 years we have been developing and manufacturing leading edge software and electronics systems from our premises in Yatton.
“These highly reliable systems work at the roadside in all weathers throughout the motorway and trunk road system, and contribute to making UK motorway travellers the safest and best informed in the world.”