Store staff ‘feel like Top Trump cards’
‘ANGRY’ and tearful staff at a Weston store say they are ‘shocked’ at news of redundancies and feel they are being treated like a pack of ‘Top Trump cards’.
Employees at the Dunelm home furnishing shop, in Marchfields Way, were told last week that the equivalent of 10 full-time jobs would be lost, but they would first be scored and ranked. The lowest scoring employees would then be made redundant, according to staff.
One worker, who did not wish to be named in case it compromised her job, said: “A lot of the staff are pretty angry and upset about this. We are being scored like a pack of Top Trump cards and those with the top points stay and the bottom are thrown out.
“We are always being told the store is doing well so we are shocked that it has come to this.
“It’s always so busy with staff working flat out, so I don’t think having less workers will help anything.”
You may also want to watch:
She said this week employees will have their scorecards filled in before having a one-to-one meeting to discuss their future.
Another member of staff, who has worked at the store for many years, said several people were in floods of tears after hearing the news.
- 1 New card and gift shop to open in Weston retail park
- 2 50 staff isolating after Covid outbreak at Weston pub
- 3 PICTURES: Look inside Weston's Revo Kitchen
- 4 From Hornets RFC to England: The rise of Curtis Langdon
- 5 Coronavirus vaccine centre for young people opens in Weston town centre
- 6 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 7 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 8 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 9 New parliamentary boundaries will be 'more democratic', says Weston MP
- 10 Elton John to perform in Bristol next year
Dunelm said a ‘limited number’ of redundancies will be made and a consultation with staff is ongoing. A spokesman added: “We are not taking this decision lightly and while the store continues to trade profitably, the challenging retail environment is well known and the harsh reality is that we have to control our overheads tightly if we are to maintain Dunelm’s well-known value-for-money offer.”