New smokehouse opens in Weston-super-Mare town centre
- Credit: Sub
Three life-long friends have banded together to open an authentic barbecue restaurant in Weston-super-Mare.
Weston-born friends Mahmud Charania, Paul and David Ellis have launched The BBQ Smokehouse in Upper Church Road after seeing a gap in the market.
The partners worked together to design the restaurant and create an atmosphere befitting the cuisine and the area.
Mahmud’s daughter Aliza, who handles the advertising and marketing, said the partners believed there was ‘nothing like it’ and ‘wanted to be different’.
She added: “The restaurant is not currently part of a chain, but this is the direction we are heading in. We are looking to start off in the Somerset area and then hopefully branch out further.”
You may also want to watch:
The BBQ Smokehouse came from humble beginnings with the three men attending food festivals to sell their produce and buying a trailer in Highbridge.
For eight months, the team worked together to smoke the meats and try out new recipes from the trailer before finding their new home in Weston.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 3 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 6 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 7 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 8 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 9 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 10 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
They built the restaurant with the environment in mind, using recycled corrugated iron throughout.
Aliza added: “Our hopes for the restaurant are to open the next room where we will be able to sit around 70 people.
“We are hoping to use this as a private function room, which we will start working on in the very near future.”
The restaurant has already gained a massive following – earning five star reviews and compliments on its Facebook page.
One diner, Roger Green, said: “Tried this new barbecue restaurant and was absolutely delighted with it. Great service and excellent food. It is good to find somewhere which is sensibly priced and still offers excellent quality.”
From today (Monday) through to Sunday, guests are invited to try to complete a food challenge in less than 45 minutes.
It will include one 16oz giant burger, a full rack of ribs, 10 wings, homemade coleslaw and a kilo of skin-on fries.
Those who reign victorious will receive a T-shirt and have their photo on the hall of fame in the main restaurant while losers will be placed on the wall of shame in the toilets.