Thomas Cook future unclear
- Credit: Archant
THE long-term future of Thomas Cook in Weston has been thrown into doubt today (Wed).
The firm has announced plans to close 195 on the 1,069 stores it currently operates.
Around 2,500 jobs will go too, although the majority of these will be back office staff members.
So far the travel company has not confirmed which of its stores will close, but it could jeopardise the future of the shops in Weston High Street and Worle’s Sainsbury’s supermarket.
Thomas Cook announced pre-tax losses of more than £480million last September.
You may also want to watch:
Its continental Europe and UK chief executive, Peter Fankhauser, said Thomas Cook would continue to have a High Street presence across the country.
He said: “It is never easy to make decisions that impact directly on our people, but we also owe it to our customers to shape the business effectively and ensure that, when they book their holiday with us, our administrative costs are as low as possible.”
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 10 5 things to do in North Somerset this weekend