Top employer to move out of Highbridge
- Credit: Archant
One of the biggest employers in Highbridge is set to leave the town, which will result in job losses.
Brakes Group, which is a leading food wholesaler, will shut its warehouse site on the Isleport Business Park in the town, after it acquired a new site in Portbury.
A spokesman for the firm confirmed all 200 staff have been given the opportunity to move to the Portbury site but it understands some people will have to find alternative employment.
There is not yet a confirmed closing date but Highbridge councillor John Parkes told the Mercury the loss of this major employer is a concern, especially for young people in the town and with more homes planned.
He said: “It really concerns me because the aim of Highbridge’s development is to increase employment and regeneration.
You may also want to watch:
“I am all for employing local people – especially young people – and we need to make sure we have the tools to do that. The fact remains that Highbridge is getting more houses and so needs more investment in the town. I want to know what Sedgemoor District Council is going to do about it.”
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 3 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 4 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 5 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 6 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 7 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 8 Doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site