‘Transparent’ taxi firm set up by family
- Credit: Archant
A FATHER and son duo have launched a Weston-super-Mare taxi company which they say will embrace new technology and help make the process of ordering a cab in the town less ‘dated’.
Mike James set up GoCars with his dad Gary, who has years of experience of working as a taxi driver in the area.
The company enables those in need of a taxi to book a car through its mobile app, which is available for iOS and Android devices.
Mike said he was inspired to set up the company – which does not take phone bookings or have a traditional cab office – after being impressed by the passenger-friendly taxi services on offer in London.
He said: “I set the business up with my dad as he is a taxi driver in Weston.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve always been a guy who is interested in technology and after living in London, I soon realised how dated the taxi services in Weston and North Somerset are.
“It should be simple to order a cab and you should also be able to pay by card in today’s digital world.
- 1 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 2 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 3 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 4 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
“I don’t carry cash, and neither do I own a car. So this business will really help me get around.”
The GoCars website describes the process as a ‘smarter’ way of ordering taxis and its Facebook page says the company has ‘big plans’ for the future.
Mike said the company, which provides a 24-hour service with a range of fixed price destinations, would make conditions for its drivers ‘fair’ and ensure the service was ‘affordable’ for customers.
He said: “We don’t charge our drivers rental for any equipment, so we are working hard to keep things as fair and transparent as possible.
“Weston and North Somerset needs GoCars – it’s a 2.0 taxi service.
“We want to offer people a service that’s affordable, transparent and, most of all, is up to date with today’s connected world.
“I’d like to see GoCars become the go-to app for hiring a taxi in all towns in North Somerset.”