Travel agency to set up in Weston College
- Credit: Archant
A TRAVEL agency will be set up at Weston College to give students hands-on experience of the industry.
The agency is due to open this September and will be run and managed by students in partnership with Simon Dinham, from Weston-based travel agency Thomas William Travel.
Travel and tourism lecturer Charmaine Hale-Lynch said the new agency would give students real work experience.
She said: “We’re still very much in the planning stage but it’s an exciting development and it will be a place where students and staff can book holidays, flights and hotels. This project will ensure that our learners develop the skills and qualities that employers demand.”
Simon, aged 26, who has worked for firms including Thomas Cook, Thomson and Virgin, recently visited the college’s Travel and Tourism department to talk to students about the industry and to outline the plans for the college-based business.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I talked through my career progression and gave the students an insight into the world of the travel agent. I described how I set up my own business, and how you get business in what is a very competitive market.”
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Planking your way to better health
- 8 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 9 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 10 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic