Weston firm helping youngsters find jobs
YOUNGSTERS are now able to gain learn while earning through apprenticeships at a Weston business.
Pursuit Training, based in Winterstoke Road, has started up a Government-funded apprenticeship scheme to help school leavers find jobs.
The firm’s ‘learn as you earn’ scheme sees 16-18-year-olds dividing their time between learning vital IT skills and earning money by working for the company.
For two days of the week apprentices are taught about various IT skills, while for the next two days they work on projects for the company, with the firm’s first seven apprentices currently redeveloping Pursuit Training’s website.
The firm’s apprenticeships are equivalent to a both GCSE and A-level qualifications, and successful apprentices will be handed diplomas after completing both the learning, and work parts of the course.
You may also want to watch:
Apprentices will learn a broad variety of IT skills, from website design, to creating marketing materials, using word processing software, emails and the internet correctly, and how to create and administer databases.
Business owner Steve Horler said: “There’s a massive push at the moment to keep 16-18-year-olds in employment, and it’s nice to be able to help youngsters leaving school who might not be sure about what they are going to do.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 7 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 8 Father's Day: Children's messages to their dads
- 9 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 10 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
“It’s a good opportunity for them to come and in and gain a lot of work experience and a qualification at the same time.
“We’re also looking for local businesses to take on some of our apprentices, as there are a lot of benefits from having highly-motivated young people with the right qualifications working for you.”