Weston’s Blockbuster set to close
- Credit: Archant
THE film rental giant Blockbuster will close its Weston store this month.
The High Street firm is the latest to go into administration, after HMV announced similar problems, and nationally hundreds of stores are under threat.
After disappointing Christmas sales the popularity of ordering the latest film or TV series via the internet has created a big struggle for the company.
The store, based in Weston Links, is currently having a closing down sale to get rid of its stock before the shutters come down for the final time. The scheduled closing day is March 20 but this depends on the progress of the store’s closing down sale.
After plans to close 129 stores nation-wide were released in January – as well as 31 others which had already been notified of closure – the company released a second wave of branches which would have to shut its doors.
You may also want to watch:
Another 164 stores were confirmed to close, with Weston being one of them.
Lee Manning, joint administrator, said: “We have continued to review the performance of individual stores since our appointment a month ago and have concluded that further closures are necessary in order to restructure the company for sale.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Weston AFC unveil more Optima Stadium development plans
- 4 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 Voice your views on roads, footpaths and cycling routes in North Somerset
- 7 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 8 Green candidate announced for village ward in by-election
- 9 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
“We would like to thank the company’s employees for their support and professionalism during this difficult time and we are also grateful for the continued support of customers.
“We are in discussions with a number of parties interested in purchasing all or parts of the business and will update on progress in due course.”