Weston-super-Mare to get bigger JD Sports and new Evans store
- Credit: Archant
Weston-super-Mare’s Sovereign Shopping Centre will undergo a store reshuffle in the coming weeks, as a national retailer is moved into a bigger unit.
JD Sports, which currently occupies a smaller unit in the Sovereign Centre, is set to move to a larger revamped shop in the facility.
The move will see plus-size women’s clothing chain Evans move to the unit recently occupied by The Calendar Club.
Shoppers feared Evans would be lost from the town’s retail portfolio when its lease expired last month, but bosses successfully negotiated a move to the unit which sits just a few yards away.
JD Sports will be housed in the large unit currently occupied by music and film store That’s Entertainment, which has been served its notice by Sovereign Centre managers – though they hope to relocate the business to another unit in the facility.
You may also want to watch:
That’s Entertainment currently lies next to the former Evans unit, and both spaces will be merged to create a larger space for the ‘king of trainers’.
Sovereign Centre manager Nick Cooke told the Mercury: “We’re combining the Evans unit with That’s Entertainment to make a larger store for JD Sports, which has been under-spaced for quite some time.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 6 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 7 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 8 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 9 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 10 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
“That unfortunately means we have displaced That’s Entertainment, but we hope to re-accommodate them elsewhere in the building.
“We’re delighted to retain a large national retailer like Evans, who were very keen to stay.”
Mr Cooke added he hopes work to combine the units can commence within the next four weeks and JD Sports will open for business in the new unit in the ‘late spring’.