Weston ‘twinned with Hell’
- Credit: Archant
AN AMERICAN town called Hell is set to be twinned with Weston.
Placed on the edge of Lake Erie in Michigan, Hell has a number of similarities with Weston including size of population and seafront location.
Regular talks have been taking place between the two towns over the past three months.
It is expected the town twinning will see Weston strike up a deal similar to that already in place with Hildesheim in Germany.
Local mayor, Avril Sloof, said she was delighted to find a UK town to link up with.
You may also want to watch:
Future benefits of the twinning could see trade links forged between the two towns, and a exchange programme which would see Weston children go to Hell for a fortnight and vice versa.
October 2014 is likely to be the first time students will take the trip across the Atlantic. It is not known at this stage which schools will take part.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 3 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 6 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 7 Father's Day: Children's messages to their dads
- 8 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
One local businessman, who asked not to be named, said the twinning will not help Weston’s tourism industry.
“Lets be honest, this will be a PR disaster for Weston. The jokes are just too obvious to be true,” he said.
Speeches about the link up will be given by representatives at a special meeting at the Blakehay theatre on April 31 at 6pm.