B&M Bargains to open in Weston High Street today
- Credit: Archant
A national retailer will open in Weston this morning (Thursday).
B&M Bargains second store in the town will begin serving customers at 9am.
The chain, which also has a shop in Winterstoke Road, has taken on part of the empty BHS building which has been largely unused since the department store went into administration in July 2016.
The company says the store opening will create 50 town centre jobs.
The blue and orange frontage had caused some concern, with Weston Civic Society objecting to the company’s ‘unacceptable’ plans to put six vinyl signs on its windows.
You may also want to watch:
In an online poll in the summer, when B&M’s arrival was announced, 54 per cent of readers said they did not want to see the company open a town centre shop.
The remainder of BHS former unit was taken on by Specsavers.
- 1 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 2 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 3 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 4 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 9 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
Store manager, Dennis Chick, said: “Our new colleagues have been working really hard to get the store ready for opening day, we can’t wait to get the doors open and show customers their brand new B&M.”