Works begins on major pub development
- Credit: Archant
ONE of the UK’s biggest pub chains is opening a new 6,500sqft watering hole at a key gateway site on the outskirts of Weston.
Greene King runs the hugely successful Hungry Horse chain, which is renowned for its family friendly pub-restaurant venues.
Building work is now under way on creating an as-yet-unnamed pub at the Weston Gateway Business Park (WGBP), located off the A370 near to junction 21 of the M5.
The growing site is already well on the way to becoming home to Knightstone Housing’s new headquarters, and the same building firm is now working on the Greene King development.
Andrew Batchelor, partner with commercial property consultants Hartnell Taylor Cook, says Greene King’s involvement shows how the park is proving an attractive proposition for firms looking to invest in Weston.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Historically Weston has always had plenty of land, but for whatever reason it has not been readily available, which in turn has limited employment opportunities and created a perception that the town lacks ambition to attract investment.
“This site demonstrates that when land is made available and used correctly Weston is more than capable of attracting large PLCs, such as Greene King, which will not only create a tremendous facility for Weston, but will also generate much-needed employment opportunities.”
- 1 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 2 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 3 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 4 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
He added that a wide range of businesses had expressed ‘extremely strong interest’ in the remaining plots at WGBP.
Matthew Brown, business unit director for Hungry Horse, said: “We considered a number of sites in the area but Weston Gateway Business Park really stood out in terms of location.
“With various infrastructure and development projects in the pipeline for Weston we see it as a town on the up and we are very pleased to now be part of that.”
And Gemma Hughes, director at site manager Dowlas UK, said: “We are delighted that Greene King has decided to build at WGBP.
“This will provide a great amenity for the business park as a whole and will be a great attraction for future businesses that come to the site.”