Driver arrested and children taken to hospital after car chase leads to pub crash
- Credit: Archant
A driver has been arrested after leading police on a nine-mile car chase and crashing into a pub wall with two children and a female passenger inside.
The man was ordered to stop by police at Hildesheim Bridge in Weston at around noon on Saturday, but he instead sped off along the A370, overtaking vehicles on the wrong side of the road.
He was pursued by officers to Congresbury, where he lost control of the Volkswagen and smashed into the wall of The Plough pub in High Street.
All occupants of the car were taken to hospital 'as a precaution' following the crash, which destroyed the front of the car.
An Avon and Somerset Constabulary spokesman told the Mercury the incident will be referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added: "A driver was arrested after failing to stop for officers in Weston at noon on Saturday.
"He was driving on the A370 at Hildesheim Bridge when officers requested him to stop.
- 1 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 2 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 3 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 4 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
- 5 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 6 Weston's Marine Lake to remain closed due to safety concerns
- 7 Weston's youngest funeral director achieves qualifications
- 8 Weston is a 'really great place to invest'
- 9 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 10 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
"He ignored their request and continued travelling along the A370, overtaking vehicles on the wrong side of the road before colliding with a wall at the Plough public house, Congresbury shortly afterwards.
"The driver was detained and he together with a female passenger and two young children, who were in the car, have been taken to hospital as a precaution.
"A police vehicle was following the car at the time of collision.
"The force's Professional Standards Department have been notified and will be referring the matter to the IOPC today (Monday)."