Car smashes into Weston’s TJ Hughes building
- Credit: Archant
A car has smashed into a vacant Weston department store this afternoon (Wednesday).
A black Ford has been found outside TJ Hughes at its St James Street entrance, which has resulted in a shattered glass pane.
Avon and Somerset Constabulary have set up a cordon around the vehicle and one police car is at the scene.
Its spokesman said: "We were called at 1pm today after reports a vehicle had reversed into a building.
"There are no injuries in the incident. The building has been assessed and looks structurally safe.
You may also want to watch:
"It will be boarded up."
Dove Properties was granted planning permission last year to convert the former department store into three shops and 19 flats on the floors above.
TJ Hughes has been vacant since 2011.
Last September, rumours circulated the building could become a nightclub, but they were quashed by North Somerset Council.
- 1 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
- 2 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 3 Recycling centres set to be 'very busy' due to ease in lockdown restrictions
- 4 Council keen to hear from villagers on road safety plans
- 5 Popular food festival returns to Weston this weekend
- 6 Dreaming of reaching the Olympic Games with Isabel Blackhurst
- 7 Will garden village be revived?
- 8 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 9 Events in Weston and beyond to look forward to this summer
- 10 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple