Car smashes into Weston’s TJ Hughes building
- Credit: Archant
A car has smashed into a vacant Weston department store this afternoon (Wednesday).
A black Ford has been found outside TJ Hughes at its St James Street entrance, which has resulted in a shattered glass pane.
Avon and Somerset Constabulary have set up a cordon around the vehicle and one police car is at the scene.
Its spokesman said: "We were called at 1pm today after reports a vehicle had reversed into a building.
"There are no injuries in the incident. The building has been assessed and looks structurally safe.
You may also want to watch:
"It will be boarded up."
Dove Properties was granted planning permission last year to convert the former department store into three shops and 19 flats on the floors above.
TJ Hughes has been vacant since 2011.
Last September, rumours circulated the building could become a nightclub, but they were quashed by North Somerset Council.
- 1 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 2 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 3 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 4 New principal appointed at academy
- 5 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year
- 6 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 7 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 8 Halloween 2021: What Halloween events are taking place in North Somerset?
- 9 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 10 Weston families 'deciding between keeping children warm or fed'