Cat 'lucky to survive' shooting
PUBLISHED: 10:00 15 August 2014
PET-OWNERS have been left 'shocked' and 'disgusted' after their cat needed surgery to remove an air gun pellet from its stomach.
Jo Sheppard, aged 44, who lives near Priory Community School in North Worle with her husband and two children said she wants others pet owners to be aware of the danger and warn of further incidents in the area.
Mrs Sheppard says her cat Bertie, who is just over a year old, did not immediately show signs of injury - but later needed emergency surgery. She said: “I was stroking him at home and felt a hard lump under his fur, obviously we were worried so my husband took him to the vet straight away.
“They tried to use a needle to do a biopsy and check the lump for cancer but it was too hard they suspected it might be a pellet and Bertie needed emergency surgery.
“Due to the amount of healing around the wound they think it could have happened about a month ago, which makes sense because I remember him running in the house absolutely terrified one day. He wouldn’t go back outside for a week.”
After Bertie had surgery to remove the pellet from his stomach, Mrs Sheppard said: “The vet said he was very lucky it didn’t hit any of his internal organs. He was very lucky to survive.
“We appreciate not everyone likes cats, but to harm them in this way is unforgivable, there are easier ways to shoo them out of the garden.”
Bertie was treated at Green Pastures Veterinary Centre in Weston. A practice spokesman said: “In the last incident a pellet hit the cat’s spine and the cat had to be put to sleep.”
Mrs Sheppard is asking people to report any similar incidents to the RSPCA and said: “If incidents get reported then hopefully the RSPCA can spot any patterns. Other cats may have been harmed and their owners just don’t realise yet.”