Creative writing group to host free poetry night
- Credit: Archant
Poetry-lovers have a treat in store next week when American poet Christina Thatcher takes to the Zoom stage for a Speakeasy evening of shared readings.
The event is run by the Chapter 1 creative writing group, as part of North Somerset arts organisation Theatre Orchard, and will take place on October 8 from 7.30-8.45pm.
The Cardiff-based poet will present a selection of poems, including those from her latest collection, How To Carry Fire, followed by an open mic session with poets lined-up from Weston, Bristol and Cardiff.
The Speakeasy session is the fourth in a series which has previously featured guest poets Melanie Branton, Cat Lyons and Beth Calverley.
Chapter 1 creative writing group, led by Sue Hill and Bob Walton of The Write Box, meets fortnightly on Tuesday afternoons, on the first Tuesday of each month from 3-4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
The open to all North Somerset sessions include members from Weston and Clevedon, with the current Zoom format also welcoming a participant from America.
Its free sessions are open to new writers with no experience necessary.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 5 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 6 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 9 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
Chapter 1 was initially set up in Big Worle in May 2019 as part of Becoming Stories, a multi-arts project by Theatre Orchard in partnership with Big Worle.
Since then, it has continued to go from strength to strength and enjoyed a variety of activities including a special guest visit from novelist, Patrick Gale, taking part in the Speakeasy open mic sessions and a national, online poetry and health event, having their stories showcased at the performance of Gnomus in Weston’s Old Town Quarry and contributing a poem to the Say Something poster campaign for display on North Somerset Council’s noticeboards.
Sue Hill and Bob Walton of the Write Box, said: “We love running the creative writing sessions with Chapter 1.
“Everyone is so keen to try out new ideas and to be friendly and supportive.
“The group has produced some wonderful writing – sometimes very moving and personal, sometimes really entertaining and funny, and other times very imaginative and surprising. It’s a treat to be involved with the group.”
To book a free place, log on to www.ticketsource.co.uk/theatre-orchard