Work on new Cheddar pump track set to begin
- Credit: Cheddar Parish Council
Work on a new 'pump' track in Cheddar us set to get underway next week.
On Monday (January 17), work will get started on the cycle track at the Sharpham Road playing fields.
The project is the vision of Ride Mendips, who first pitched the idea to the parish council in 2019.
Located close to the skate park, the pump track will provide more opportunities for skateboards, scooters and BMX bikes, which have become increasingly popular following British successes at the last Olympics, Cheddar Parish Council said.
Derek Bradley-Balmer, chairman, said: "Following delays, mainly due to suitability of location, it is fantastic to finally get this project started.
"It will be a great facility for the community, free for all to use, and we would like to congratulate Ride Mendips for all their work in planning and fundraising."
The parish council has appointed Bristol-based Architrail Velosolutions as principal contractor for the project, which is set to be finished in eight weeks.
Ride Mendips helped secure funding for the project through several grants including; British Cycling Places to Ride Fund, Thatchers Foundation, National Grid and Rotary Club of Mendip.
They have also raised money through their own fundraising events and Hanson UK will be donating the aggregate and asphalt.
- 1 Stunning house with large rooms and annexe
- 2 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 3 Covid cases still rising in North Somerset
- 4 First Bus announces major changes to bus services
- 5 'I had to learn to walk again': Weston man talks of strokes - at 31
- 6 Dramatic pictures show garage fire that spread to caravan
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway: A history
- 9 Weston pub set for £190k revamp
- 10 Tributes paid to 'caring, loving and funny' 17-year-old who died in collision
Once completed, the pump track will be maintained by Cheddar Parish Council.