Chemical spill at Burnham pool

6pm. 21.08.07. BURNHAM swimming pool was evacuated on Monday evening due to a dangerous chemical leak.

BURNHAM swimming pool was evacuated on Monday evening due to a dangerous chemical leak.

A pipe with hydrated calcium hypochlorite leaked into a container full of sulphuric acid and more than 20 firefighters wearing air-tight suits were sent in to deal with the incident at the pool in Berrow Road.

Crews used a decontamination unit to deal with the spillage, which occurred after a pipe cracked, under the advice of a scientific adviser from Somerset County Council.

Nobody was harmed, but Myrtle Drive alongside the complex had to be closed while the area was made safe.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus