Chemist gives ear drops for baby’s eye infection
PUBLISHED: 15:00 14 January 2011
A SHOCKED mum has told of the moment she feared her seven-week-old baby had been blinded after she claims a Weston chemist made a ‘massive blunder’.
Demi Farr rushed tiny Lillie-Mae to hospital when she realised she had been putting ear drops into her daughter’s eyes for four days after Boots pharmacy ‘mixed-up’ her prescription.
The 18-year-old had been prescribed eye drops for her daughter after she was diagnosed with conjunctivitis and picked up the medicine from Boots in Weston High Street last week.
Demi, of Lonsdale Avenue on the Bournville estate, told the Mercury: “I was told to give them to her four times a day but it seemed to be making her eyes worse.
“I noticed Lillie-Mae was in discomfort and she was screaming out in pain.
“I gave them to her for four days and when she started screaming I looked at the bottle and it said ear drops five per cent.
“I was really shocked and worried because I didn’t know what was going to happen to her eyesight – I was really worried she was blinded.”
Demi rang the out-of-hours doctor and was advised to go straight to hospital on Friday night.
She rushed to Bristol Children’s Hospital where they took a swab from Lillie-Mae’s eyes and gave her some ointment to treat the infection.
Demi added: “I’m still waiting for the results of the swab and her conjunctivitis doesn’t seem to be getting better yet.
“It’s been absolutely terrifying and I’m worried this could happen to other people.
“If an older person was given ear drops instead of eye drops and they couldn’t see that well, how long would it take for them to realise? It could cause serious damage.”
A spokesman for the pharmacy said: “Boots UK take the health and safety of its customers very seriously.
“We are aware of this issue and we are liaising directly with Ms Farr to investigate the matter.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.