Fire rips through fish and chip shop

PUBLISHED: 11:55 07 September 2017 | UPDATED: 12:03 07 September 2017

The fire affected the ground-floor chip shop and an upstairs flat. Picture: Matt Toplis/justcongresbury.com

The fire affected the ground-floor chip shop and an upstairs flat. Picture: Matt Toplis/justcongresbury.com

Archant

A Congresbury fish and chip shop went up in flames this week, with the blaze tearing through the building and into a flat above.

A fire ripped through Oldfields Fish and Chip Shop, in Brinsea Road, on Tuesday.

Firefighters arrived at the scene at 12.54pm, and spent several hours tackling the blaze in the two-storey building, which is believed to have been started by an electrical fault.

No one was hurt in the fire, but the chip shop, which is based in the village’s main precinct, and the flat above have sustained damage – and it is not known when the takeaway will reopen.

Matt Toplis, of www.justcongresbury.com, captured video of the fire and shared it to social media.

The fire affected the ground-floor chip shop and an upstairs flat. Picture: Matt Toplis/justcongresbury.comThe fire affected the ground-floor chip shop and an upstairs flat. Picture: Matt Toplis/justcongresbury.com

An Avon Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The cause of the fire was deemed to be accidental.

“We had two crews from Yatton and two from Weston-super-Mare attend the fire.

“The fire started in the chip shop on the ground floor, and affected the flat above.

“Crews using full breathing apparatus used two high-pressure hose reels, one jet, one CO2 extinguisher, and one dry powder extinguisher to extinguish the fire.

“There is secondary heat damage to the loft, and crews went up and damped down and checked the damage.

“They went back that evening to re-inspect with thermal imaging cameras.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists