Chip shop probe after girl’s face burnt

PUBLISHED: 12:00 26 October 2015

Son Oliver, mother Lucyann, daughter Sammi-Rai and dad Jamie Thompson.

Son Oliver, mother Lucyann, daughter Sammi-Rai and dad Jamie Thompson.

Archant

A 16-MONTH-OLD girl could be scarred for life after sustaining severe burns to her face, allegedly caused by chip shop curry sauce which was so hot it melted through its pot.

The burn from the sideThe burn from the side

The toddler, Sammi-Rai Thompson, had to be given morphine for the pain after a searing hot liquid burned her cheek and ear.

Her mother, Lucyann Moore, says a Weston-super-Mare chip shop over-heated a curry sauce, which melted through its pot and scalded the toddler’s face.

The chip shop has denied the claims and said its curry sauce is always heated to a safe temperature.

The family were visiting relatives in Devon but on the way home decided to stop off in Weston to let the children visit the arcades.

The burnThe burn

During their visit, the family went to a nearby fish and chip shop, Weston Fish and Chips in Regent Street, to get something to eat before heading home.

Lucyann claims the microwaved curry sauce was being passed over Sammi-Rai’s pushchair when it poured through the melted cup onto her face, causing the burns.

The Birmingham family rushed to the Sovereign Shopping Centre for emergency first aid before heading to Weston General Hospital.

The burns were so severe Sammi-Rai was transferred to Bristol Children’s Hospital for specialist treatment.

Lucyann, aged 28, said: “It might scar her and it will take months to heal. It was so close to her eyes as well.

“The hospital told us it had done some damage to her and it would probably scar.

“She was screaming in agony, she had to have morphine for the pain.

“It’s something that just shouldn’t have happened.”

Lucy-Ann now has to treat her daughter’s face with special creams and keep her out of the sun to reduce the risk of long-term scarring.

North Somerset Council says the incident has been reported to its Trading Standards department and it is investigating.

However, Weston Fish and Chips owner Alam Intekhab told the Mercury it was not the curry sauce which caused the burn.

He said: “We did serve them but our food is not hot enough to cause those injuries.

“We will of course work with the council during the investigation.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury