Free parking for Christmas shoppers announced
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Christmas shoppers in parts of Somerset will be allowed to park for free at points during December.
Sedgemoor District Council has confirmed its car parks will be free on the three Saturdays before Christmas Day, including in Burnham, Cheddar and Highbridge.
It estimates the policy will cost it £14,000 in lost revenue, but believes it will help footfall.
Cllr Mark Healey, portfolio holder for commercial and asset management, confirmed the move at a full council meeting, on October 9.
He said: "It is estimated the cost of offering this concession for one weekend would be around £4,600 in lost revenue, increasing to £13,800 for the three pre-Christmas December weekends."
You may also want to watch:
The council will also offer free parking after 4pm on the days when Christmas lights are switched on.
North Somerset Council has in previous years offered a similar discount to motorists in Weston, but has not yet announced if the initiative will be repeated in 2019.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 4 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 5 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 6 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 7 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 8 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 9 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 10 Children encouraged to take up Covid jab