Cigarette embers cause house fire

PUBLISHED: 10:05 10 January 2013

Two fire engines attended the fire

Two fire engines attended the fire

Archant

EMBERS in an ashtray caused a small fire in a Worle home last night (Weds).

Two Avon Fire and Rescue engines from Weston were called to the home in Mayfield Avenue after 11pm last night.

They found its occupant, a man, outside the house, and smoke filling its kitchen.

Fire crews discovered that there was a small fire in a bin in the kitchen, which had begun after embers in an ashtray had been put in the bin.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “We would advise as a note of caution to anybody who does smoke to make sure any embers or cigarette ends are fully extinguished before they are put into bins.

“We have had incidents in the past where it can lead to more serious fires where the incident takes place at night when people are sleeping.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury