Cockroach kettle shock leaves Carly scratching

PUBLISHED: 11:00 15 September 2012

Carly Wintle and daughter Sienna-Rose with a kettle full of cockroaches she bought from Asda.

Carly Wintle and daughter Sienna-Rose with a kettle full of cockroaches she bought from Asda.

Archant

A WOMAN from Weston said she was 'shocked' to find a cockroach in a £5 kettle she bought from a supermarket to sterilise dummies for her four-month-old baby.

Carly Wintle, aged 31, of Frenchay Road, Weston, bought the Asda Smart Price kettle on Monday to clean items for her daughter Sienna-Rose.

But when she unwrapped the kettle she bought from the Winterstoke Road store she was horrified when a dead two-and-a-half inch cockroach fell into her hand.

She said: “I thought it was a piece of plastic which had fallen off because it was a cheap kettle.

“When I realised it was a cockroach I screamed and dropped it on the floor and woke the baby up.

“I had to have two showers after, it was making my skin itch.

“It was just the most unexpected thing. I just did not expect to find a cockroach in a brand new kettle.”

But she says she was even more disappointed with the supermarket’s attitude to the traumatic event.

She said: “When I called the customer hotline the man I spoke to told me that once I got over the shock I could take it back and get a new one.

“Then he said they would find out for me in 40 days how it got into the kettle.

“I was shocked to think they thought I might actually care where the cockroach came from. I don’t care who its grandparents are.

“He was so nonchalant about it. That disappointed me more if I’m honest.”

Asda spokesman Leah Watson said: “We take matters like this extremely seriously, but until the product is returned to us for investigation, we’re at a loss to understand how this could have happened.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists