Committee meets over 175-home plan
PUBLISHED: 20:00 23 September 2015 | UPDATED: 09:36 24 September 2015
Residents and councillors will meet on Thursday to discuss plans for the development of 175 new homes in Winscombe.
Despite drainage and traffic concerns, Winscombe Parish Council planning committee will meet at St James’ Church hall to discuss the plans submitted by developer Tuckerwood, which is represented by property consultants Bilfinger GVA.
After the application was made on August 20, parish councillors voiced concerns about flooding risks.
North Somerset Council has since conducted a rigorous flood risk assessment on the 7.3-hectacre site.
Banwell and Winscombe ward councillor Ann Harley told the Mercury at the outset of the plans in May that she was worried about the site’s drainage.
She said: “The biggest issue here is drainage and we need to see a proper evaluation of that within the plans.
“The environment in this area is also important too, as this is something which is an asset to North Somerset.
“However, I feel like I have been reassured by the developers that all these issues will be addressed and suitably dealt with.”
The Woodborough Road and Church Road junction is due to be extended as part of the plans, while both roads would be narrowed to form traffic-calming ‘pinch-points’, easing congestion fears.
Highways England has confirmed it has no formal objection to the plans.
Planning committee chairman Cllr Forbes told the meeting there had been a guarantee from Tuckerwood to ensure at least 30 per cent of the new homes will be ‘affordable’.
He said: “It is really important that the affordable homes are given to local people.
“We have struggled with this issue for years in the parish and there are a lot of people who want to remain here that aren’t able to.”
Wales and West Utilities will supply gas to the homes, which planners say will be limited to two storeys, if planning permission is granted.
Consultation will finish on October 6, after which planners will make a decision by early 2016.