There With You: Pub offers takeaway service as village responds to coronavirus outbreak
- Credit: Archant
A pub which has been forced to close by the Government will continue to provide hot meals for villagers.
The Old Inn began a food delivery service in Congresbury last week.
On Friday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson closed all pubs, clubs, cafés and restaurants across the UK to quell the spread of coronavirus.
When addressing the nation on television, Mr Johnson said he realised it went against ‘the inalienable free-born right of people born in England to go to the pub’.
The Old Inn confirmed it will be closed to customers until further notice but will continue to offer food deliveries and has also introduced takeaway two-pint beer cartons.
You may also want to watch:
Food deliveries are free to homes in Congresbury but a £1.50 charge applies to Yatton homes.
The service is available from Tuesday to Sunday between 12-12.30pm and 5.30-7.30pm.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 10 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
Pre-orders must be placed before 11.30am and 5pm at the respective delivery times.
Landlady Jenny Box said: “We have a lot elderly regulars and many people living in the village and on its outskirts are vulnerable people, so we thought it makes sense for them to be getting warm, homemade food.
“It also keeps us ticking over in what will be a very quiet and difficult period.”
Many establishments in the village have amended their opening hours or closed their doors.
The Welcome store in the Precinct will offer same-day shopping deliveries to villagers.
Orders can be placed over the phone and cash payments are accepted on delivery.
The community café in Bridge House will be closed ‘for the foreseeable future’ and aims to ‘re-open as soon as practically possible’.
The WI has cancelled its meetings on April 15, May 20 and June 17, while the evening WI has cancelled all forthcoming events until further notice.
Other events including a race night on April 25 in aid of the community café has been postponed, while Congresbury Singers cancelled their Easter concert, which was due to take place on Saturday. They hope to be back in the autumn.
The gardening club has cancelled all its upcoming events, including its spring show.
To order food from The Old Inn, call 01934 832270.